I have to admit I completely overlooked the news that Tropico 5 was announced this week, thinking that we’d have to wait another 2 years before Feral announced a Mac version. It turns out that Kalypso have already announced Tropico 5 is getting a Mac version, along with all the other platforms, next year. So that’s good! But maybe a bit disappointing to everyone who just paid full price for Tropico 4.
Whether the 5th incarnation of the game will be just an incremental update over the last (as has been the case with the latest game) remains to be seen, of course, but here are some tasty new features to look forward to, and a trailer, below:
As well as a wealth of other new features, including advanced trading mechanics, technology, scientific research trees and island exploration, Tropico 5 will add cooperative and competitive multiplayer for up to four players for the first time in the series’ history! Viva El Presidente!
Features of Tropico 5
- The Eras – From the 19th century to the 21st, each era carries its own challenges and opportunities. Begin your reign during colonial times and advance your nation through the modern era and into the future!
- The Dynasty – Each member of El Presidente’s extended family is present on the island and may be appointed to key leadership positions, earning skills and experience in their assigned roles.
- Research and Renovate – Advance your nation by discovering new buildings, technologies and resources. Transform your old buildings into modernized, hyper-efficient designs worthy of an economic superpower!
- Advanced trade system and trade fleet – Amass a global trade fleet and use your ships to secure import/export trade routes to neighbouring islands and key nations.
- Explore your island – Discover what lies beyond the fog of war. Send prospectors to look for new mineral and ore deposits, but be wary of hostile animals and native tribes.
- All new art – All artwork is reworked to provide Tropico 5 with a distinct historic visual identity. Choose from over 100 unique buildings from each of the individual eras.
- Cooperative and competitive multiplayer – Up to four players can build up their own cities and economies on any given island map. Players can share resources and citizens, or declare war on each other.